Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sushi

Lets talk sushi. I LOVE sushi. It really is quite simply amazing and I think I could eat it every single day. I debated on whether or not I should write this post about it because I knew it would make me want it that much more, but we had a fun little experience so I thought I would share :)

Now before I start, I know what you are probably thinking.........you're pregnant! You shouldn't be eating sushi! So I've decided that there are different levels of sushi eaters. You have your beginning level which basically will only eat something like a California Roll. California Rolls have crab in them which is cooked so technically you aren't eating raw fish.

                                                                                      

This is one of my favorite rolls so I don't think its wussy if this is all you can eat :) If you have never tried sushi definitely start out with this bad boy........YUMMMM! Ok, so the second level is the intermediate level which basically means you can handle most rolls and will eat slabs of raw fish on/in your roll. I think I fall into this category. Some I think is nasty but I've had some yummy sushi where they lay the fish on top with a slice of lemon and Mmmm! Perfection! 


 

The last level I call the advanced level (or the you are out of your mind level) which eats pretty much anything they put in front of you......it is beautiful to look at but I don't know if I will ever be able to handle sashimi (raw slabs of meat served by itself). I am definitely not there yet. Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

   

So back to my fun story........my mom volunteered to take Sam for a couple hours so we could go on a date and I knew right away what I wanted. SUSHI! My two most favorite rolls in the world are the California Roll and the Vegas Tempura Roll.......here's a pic.......

 

This is hands down my favorite. I love it SO MUCH! It is amazing. Its practically like eating dessert it tastes so good! And the best part is that the salmon in it is smoked so it is cooked too! So even though I am pregnant I can eat my two favorite rolls. Tender mercies :) Haha jk!

So we went to Tsunami in Sugar house which is some of the best tasting sushi I've ever had. I was still a little nervous to go just because there is still a small chance that the chef could use a knife that already cut raw fish and then use it to prepare mine......but that is so unlikely so ya.....we went. We were seated at the Sushi bar which was a super fun experience! I've never sat there before and I probably didn't look as cool as I felt but oh well! I felt cool! We chatted it up with all the sushi chefs and got our yummy sushi. Next to me there was an older couple who definitely fell into the "advanced level" of sushi eaters. They were eating some frightening yet mesmerizing stuff. Suff that looked like this.....

 

They started to tease us because we were being such wimps with our sushi so I made the defense comment that I was pregnant so I couldn't eat what they were eating even if I wanted too (though I totally did NOT want too) Then the man said "Oh its fine. Eating sushi in moderation when you are pregnant is totally acceptable." We just kind of sat there and then his cute wife said, "You can trust him. He's a doctor" Turns out this guy sitting next to us is the head NICU Doctor up at Primary's. Amazing! All my worries flew out the window and I started eating the rest of their ugly sushi that they didn't want and then jumped over the bar and ate all the raw fish I could find................ok ok so maybe not...........I didn't eat any "real" sushi but at least I felt safe and now I can eat as many California and Vegas rolls I want!!! (Well in moderation I suppose ;) It was a fun night! So if you are pregnant and craving sushi go at it! And if you have never tried it go for it! And if you already love sushi then call me and lets go! Man I love it. So for now I guess I'll eat my wafer cookie and dream of something even better........ Mmmmm sushi :)

11 comments:

  1. Yes sushi in moderation during pregnancy, that was my motto. I had a little here and there and all was well :)
    Maybe we need to do sushi one Wednesday night! I'm free next Wednesday, we should totally do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmmm yay! I was hoping this would "out" my other sushi loving friends :) haha!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE sushi! You should try Sushi Groove on Highland Drive. It is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that place is good! We like that one and Go Sushi on 33rd south......yum!

      Delete
  3. Haha ok you're off the hook! I tried sushi once and didn't like it so maybe I need to try one of the beginner level sushis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good.....I knew you were mad at me.....hehe ;) Ya I guarantee you that if you try one of those two rolls you will LOVE it!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh... I want my first sushi experience to be with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've NEVER had sushi????????? Seriously?!?!?!? Ok yes we are going!

      Delete
  5. Becca... The Vegas Roll and California Rolls are my FAVORITE! I go to Ichiban Sushi downtown with friends for my sushi fixes. They have happy hour M-W and some rolls are half-priced. And I get deals for Happy Sumo every once in a while. Whaddya think?? Sushi GNO?? They have veggie rolls and Chicken Spring Rolls if anyone is feeling really apprehensive... YUMMMMM... Sushi. My stomach is literally growling right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAPPY HOUR!!!!!!!!!! Oh lets do it please oh please!!! Sushi GNO ASAP :) Now my stomach is growling! Mmmmmmmm!!!

      Delete
    2. Ever heard of sushi ya?! It's kind of expensive but I love sushi now because of it!! You get as much sushi as you want!! It's really nice and it will change your life! Gno gno gno gno!

      Delete