Thursday, October 20, 2011

How old are you???

As long as I can remember it seems like I've gotten the comment, "How old are you? You look like your sixteen!" It doesn't bother me though, I figure when I'm fifty I will look pretty dang good and everyone else will wish that they looked half their age :) Just so everyone knows, this is what I looked like right before my sixteenth birthday........



Cute huh?!? hehe! Now is it just me or do I look slightly older than this? Please say that I do........I mean seriously people! The past five years of my life have been pretty funny. First it started off as "Whoa your married???" to dirty fleeting glances at the "pregnant teenager" to life right now.......a single teen mom with a baby. I thought that once I had Sam maybe I would look like a mom and people would stop with the crazy stares, but this past week I had two funny experiences that has left me to believe otherwise.

So one of my oldest and dearest friends is getting married this weekend so we are having a little bachelorette party before the wedding. Its tradition for all of us to buy something "naughty" for the bride to be (though everything I buy is modestly sexy....hehe!) so I went shopping for my special gift. These "outfits" can get pretty pricey so me and Sam went and checked out Walmart. First we went and put some 3 lbs weights in our cart (I am doing some serious weight lifting....lol) then we searched the underwear department. I started feeling a little weird when all the lady workers asked everyone around us if they needed help, but wouldn't even make eye contact with me. Oh well, what do you do? So we found a cute little number and proceeded to go check out, but of course there is a line as long as you can imagine a line at walmart could be. As we are waiting I start to feel the eyes on me. I look down in my cart and suddenly it all comes together. Here is a "teenage" girl with a baby and she is buying lingerie and weights (because she obviously only cares about looking good and "having a good time") I looked up and yup! That is definitely what everyone around me was thinking! The creepy part was the guy behind me that gave me a sly little smile. I was mortified. I paid and didn't say a word to the cashier and he didn't say a word to me. I am proud to say that I walked out with my head held high! (even though the face on that head was redder then our couch)

So that's the end of the story right? Nope. The next day my ears were driving me crazy because they were completely clogged from my cold so I go to the pharmacy to see if they have anything that could help. I go and ask the pharmacist (I know what you are thinking and no it wasn't the gorgeous foreign man unfortunately) if they have anything and she tells me to take some sudafed. It's over the counter but they keep it back behind for some reason and then asks me for my drivers license. I was kind of confused but I gave it to her and watched as her face looked me up and down in surprise. She gave me the medicine and I walked out feeling even more confused. I got home and told Kevin all about it and he just started laughing. So apparently they keep sudafed behind the counter because kids want to buy it cause it can make them high. Again, I had my "ah ha" moment. So that's why she asked for my license........she wanted to make sure I wasn't some punk teenager getting her fix! And of course I had Sam with me so it probably made me look all the more crazy and awful :( I try to be a good mom I promise!!!

I did find some consolation in the fact that at least one more person in this world now knows that I am 26 and not 16. Sometimes I can't wait until I am 50 ;)

(note-please do not go out and buy sudafed expecting to have a "good time." I've been on it for two days now and have felt no such thing. Sorry to disappoint! Haha!)




6 comments:

  1. That's hilarious!! Sometimes I get the same looks but I have two kids...I always think if they see my wedding ring it shouldn't matter right?! Funny post though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!! Your stories crack me up!! I didn't know you had this problem. But I've always known how old you are. Wait, that picture was taken last week, right? JJJJKKKKK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my that is so funny! And what a cute picture!! I think you look just lovely for your age, and I guess like you said, you'll be happy about it when you're 50 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I can't tell you how many old ladies at my wedding asked me how old I was or made the comment, "here's our young child bride." I was pretty humiliated.

    p.s. The hunky pharmacy guy with the Australian accent...yeah totally know who you're talking about haha and I understand your distraction :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Laughs* Oh boo...

    Can't believe that was you at 16... Madness!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI, I heard that Sudafed has an ingredient in it that people use to make meth, and that's why it's being regulated. Funny stories! I got LOTS of looks too in WA. People aren't used to seeing young moms there like they are here. I hope my gingers age like you! :D

    ReplyDelete