Sunday, May 15, 2011

Friday the 13th.......


Usually I don't even notice when the 13th day of the month lands on a Friday, but I definitely noticed it this last week. The day started off normal enough and we were having a great day until Kevin told me that he would have to spend the night at a young men's camp out activity. I HATE being alone at night for even a few hours let alone the entire night.......so if you can imagine, I was in a very bad mood.

I decided to try and stop wallowing so me and Sam headed up to Smith's market place to go birthday shopping for my siblings. I was so grumpy that even looking for gifts for five minutes put me completely over the edge.....(so I called my mom and she told me what to buy. Hah!). We started driving home and I noticed that down the street was covered in smoke. As we got closer to our place I knew something was wrong and that whatever it was had to be really close to our home. Oh how right I was.......I couldn't even turn onto our street they had firetrucks and ambulances and police cars blocking everything. So I turned around and went to my parents house to hang out there until they hopefully cleaned whatever was going on up. Around eight thirty Sam was getting pretty fussy (bedtime!) and so we headed home again to find it was still all blocked off! I talked to a cop and luckily found a way to get into our place. Crowds of fellow Georgetownians were standing around watching so I got the scoop. Apparently someone had been in a bad car accident and crashed into a telephone pole and everything came crashing down.....poles.... wires....you name it. So you know what that means? Yep.....no power.

I had to change Sam's diaper, feed him, and put him to sleep all in the dark. It was very challenging! Sam loves flashlights so all of ours are burnt out except for one...luckily! My sweet parents walked over (so they could get thru) and brought me two big candles. My heroes! They left and I sat on the couch alone in the dark hoping the power would come on soon. I was so bummed because I rented that Justin Bieber movie to watch while Kevin was gone so he wouldn't have to suffer thru it and now I couldn't watch it or do anything else for that matter! So I grabbed a book and thought to myself, "Well, at lease it can't get worse then this..."

Suddenly there was a huge LOUD crash and it sounded like it was right on top of us. I ran outside and our neighbors had forgotten to take their bikes off their bike rack and pulled into the carport and it all came crashing down! Hah!!! Amazingly enough Sam stayed asleep! So after all that excitement died down I went back on the couch and sat for the next three hours until....... guess what?!? Kevin came home! They had heard what had happened so he and another guy got to come home to save the day! Yay! This story has a happy ending after all :) Hehe! The power didn't come on till early that morning but thankfully we survived the night.

We celebrated the next morning by going to our favorite breakfast joint, Millcreek Cafe', and then took Sam to Kevin's band practice.


I don't know about you, but I think Sam might be a natural ;)

1 comment:

  1. boo! i would have come and stayed with you :) wow, what an exciting day! i'm sorry it was so frustrating but i'm glad it ended well.

    ReplyDelete