Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Christmas to Remember



Christmas this year was.........not sure what word to use to describe it...........interesting? Bizarre? Off? Crazy? Weird? Different? Yes I like that one. Christmas this year was different. Let me explain.

Everything leading up to the big day was great this year. Buying presents, playing in the snow, decorating the tree, writing letters to Santa, making cookies.....all so fun! But then Christmas Eve came......dun dun dun.....

It is hard to divide time with family and last year we decided that it was too hard to try to do both in one night so we split it. Last year was a McDonald year and this year was a Davis year. I woke up Christmas Eve and started crying. The day went on and I continued to cry. Kevin called home to check on us and I was still crying. Basically I cried all day and barely made it through the Davis party that night and then cried again on the way home. I was an emotional mess. You could definitely say I ruined Christmas Eve for all of us! I'm still trying to figure out and put it into words why I was so sad. I guess I just miss being a little kid sometimes. I miss going to Grandma and Grandpa's house on Christmas Eve and feeling all the magic and excitement. I miss my Grandpa. I miss our Christmas tree. I miss home. I miss my siblings. I miss grey cat. Lots and lots of emotions! This was the first year of my life I missed Christmas Eve. I didn't think it would be as hard as it was, but obviously I didn't handle it very well. Poor Kevin......he really has to put up with a lot when it comes to me ;) Ok on to Christmas Day.......
 
Sam really got into Christmas this year and it has been so much fun! Kevin and I woke up so excited for Christmas morning so we woke up Sam thinking he would run out to the tree and start freaking out..... We ran into his room and told him to go see if Santa had come and he simply sat down on the floor and said, "No thank you." We kept urging him and he wouldn't go and was acting really scared. We soon realized that he thought Santa Clause was still in our house somewhere! We tried to explain to him that he was gone, but Sam still hid behind us as we went out to the tree. Lol. The rest of the day was super fun. We spent time at Kevin's partents and my parents house. We had a big dinner at Kevin's brothers house and it was all so great. Poor Sam hadn't had anytime to play at home with his presents so when we got home we told him he could stay up late and play. He was so excited he started running all around and he ran right into the kitchen counter and thus ended our night.....poor boy! Luckily he didn't need stitches or anything! I was pretty frazzled so Kevin told me he would watch the Alfie Boe Christmas concert with me! (Those of you who know Kevin know that this is a big deal!) we got in bed and Kevin opened it up and pulled the DVD out and crrrrrack. The DVD broke in half. I started getting teary eyed, but Kevin felt soooooo bad so I held it together! Yet another fail! We were having the worst of luck!

The next morning I woke up and there were tons of messages on my phone. Apparently everyone who had been at my family's Christmas Eve party were coming down with an awful stomach bug. One by one everyone seemed to get sick. We felt safe since we weren't there, but then we heard the news that my dad was sick and  realized we had been with him the day before. I went to bed that night and knew.......a couple hours later I woke up sick and then it hit Kevin and thankfully (tender mercy) both Sam and Jane slept thru the night!!! Somehow we got thru that next day and then the next night it hit Sam. Kevin had to miss his pheasant hunt and I missed a high school friend brunch and it was our Anniversary so we didn't get to celebrate, BUT we felt so united as a family and we were so proud of Sam for being so tough and brave. I prayed so hard that Jane would stay safe and so far she is good ;) There were only a couple of people that didn't get sick.......apparently there is a huge epidemic going on. My sister and her family went to Disneyland over Christmas (yes they threw up the whole time) and my brother and his family came in from Arizona (they also threw up the whole time) so we only had one night we could all be together, New Years Eve. That was last night. We still had the party even though some family members had been sick that very morning! Luckily by that night we were all stable so we were all together :) It was wonderful! I love being with all my family. My mom spoiled us rotten! She does so much for us. It was such a great night and I was so grateful to be with my family. Sam even warmed up and came out of the room he usually hides in when we are all together. A Christmas miracle!!! Haha! 

Now it is all over and I'm feeling the post Christmas day blues........don't want Kevin to go back to work, don't want to take our tree down or accept that they've stopped playing Christmas music on the radio. I should start thinking about what my New Years resolutions should be, but that sounds like too much work. Hmmmm, maybe my resolution should be to not whine or be lazy........there goes this entire post! Ha! The good news is that Kevin's brother, Steven, and his wife, Siena, just moved in with us so we are excited to have them here and spend time with them :) They will definitely brighten up these next few long cold months. So there you have it! A Christmas we will never forget! I'm sure in time it will all seem funny and we will all have a good laugh about it ;) Of course I took a bunch of pictures thru out this holiday season so I'll end with those. Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!



                                    Leaving some cookies for Santa by the fireplace......


                                               Sam may have stolen a cookie or two ;)


                                           Two girls all cute in their Christmas pajamas!


 Our tree on Christmas Eve :) I snuck out when everyone was sleeping and took this pic....magic!


                                                       Sam peeking in his stocking


                                                      Jane trying to get all the presents


                                                               Finding fun things :)

                                                          Unwrapping the presents


                                                    Sam's new garbage truck......big hit!


                                                         Jane got her first purse!


                                               Sam's cement mixer truck.......nailed it ;)

                                                          Mmmmmm orange tic tacs!

 Love this pic! Ha! He really was happy, but I think he was still worried that Santa was somewhere hiding.............
                                                               So many fun presents!


                                                      Jane loved all her presents too!


                                         Sam's black eye......this pic doesn't do it justice :/


                                       Siena sent this pic to me from New York......love it!


         Our annual sushi night with my favorite person in the world......cousin Janeen!!!!!!!!


                                                           Found Sam planking ;)


The DVD that died.......Kevin went to buy another one a couple of days ago and they were sold out. When he told the worker what had happened he took Kevin to the back area and gave him a copy for FREE!!! So grateful for you whoever you are kind worker man!!!


                                   Look at that turn out! Future ballerina in the works!!!!!!!!

                              Sam loves playing in the snow......night or day, rain or shine!


                                                                Love this girl ;)


              During construction of Steven and Siena's room we found this little guy ;)


                                              Sam loves to fix things.........what a Davis!


                                               Sam really got so many fun gifts this year!
 
                                                 Happy girl.....she thinks she is so big ;)


                     Love finding this boy in Jane's room.......she sure loves her big brother!


                                            Lots of warm bubble baths this time of year


                                                Poor sick Sam.......this breaks my heart :(

 This was probably my most favorite day of the entire holiday season......We all went to see the Nutcracker and it was the most perfect fun girly day. Can't wait for when Jane can come with me :) Happy holidays!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Ok, Morg.... you're busted! How much did you pay her to crop you out, eh?!!

    ReplyDelete