Saturday, August 6, 2011

White donuts

We slowly had to get back into real life after our fun family trip, but things are going great. I can't believe it is already August. The summer is flying by! I don't think I'm going to make all my summer goals but oh well....at least I can look back on it with a smile on my face :)

Lots of things have happened lately and I am left feeling so humbled and blessed. We had a little scare with Sam last week and I can't seem to get over it. At his 9 month appointment his iron levels were low so we were told to give him an iron supplement for a month and then come back to get retested. We did and his levels didn't change at all. I guess they were supposed to jump up real high, but they didn't. So I figured we would do the drops again for another month and see, but my doctor told me right then and there to take Sam to the hospital to get more tests done. Of course I'm trying to stay calm and not lose it completely in the car and I'm proud to say that I didn't. I stayed strong. They took blood from his arm and he was such a champ! It took them like five minutes (not exaggerating) to find a vein and he didn't cry until they were just about done. Incredible! So we went home and waited for the news. Usually I get on Web MD whenever I have weird symptoms or am not sure what's going on, but thankfully I didn't........(I always end up thinking I have a fatal disease or better yet TEN fatal diseases). Our Doctor finally called and.................. everything looked completely normal! All his red and white blood cells were the right size and count and his capacity to hold iron was actually normal too, so I guess he will just tend to me anemic just like me :) Our Doctor sounded SO relieved and I think that that's when it hit me that this could have been a really scary big deal.

So the days that have followed I've been pretty clingy and needy (poor Sam) and just so grateful he is healthy. So one of my "hidden" little secrets (I don't know how hidden this is) is that I LOVE those white little donuts, you know the ones that you can buy at the store? They used to have huge bags full of them, but now they just have packs of five or a slightly bigger box. They are my absolute favorite! I'm kinda embarrassed about how much I love them so I always try to go to a store that has a self checkout so no one will judge me! hehe! Whenever I go thru something rough....white donuts......whenever I am emotional.....white donuts.....whenever I am sick.....white donuts......whenever life just feels hard......white donuts....... I think you get the idea ;) So driving home from the hospital I stop at a gas station and pick some up. I was scarfing them down and Sam was watching me and I looked at his little arm all bandaged up and realized "Hello! Sam is the one who should be eating white donuts, not me! He went thru all the hard stuff!" So I gave him his first white donut........

I think this picture shows how much he liked it :)

One of my favorite parts of being a mom is that I'm finally not focused and thinking of myself all the time. I absolutely love it! Living the way I was before was so exhausting, seriously! It's amazing how I would take any hardship or illness away from Sam and give it to myself without a moments hesitation. I love him so much and I love being able to love unconditionally ♥ So glad your are ok buddy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Beckee you are so cute. You are the best mom ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! I'm so glad Sam is doing okay. And that pic you sent of Sam and McKay together last week was so cute!

    ReplyDelete